Following are the functions of PMPIU:
- Supervise the project on behalf of government of Pakistan.
- Act as a coordinating & liaison authority between donor and implementing agencies.
- Conduct procurements for executing agencies e. provincial irrigation departments.
- Review and evaluate Term of References/project proposals prepared by implementing and executing agencies for onward submission to donor.
- Plan and conduct trainings, workshops, and seminars for capacity building of water resources staff and professionals of different Federal government organizations.